Week in Review — 10.1.21
The SST Newsletter highlights the goings on of the Committee, the hard work of our Members, and a look ahead. — Sign up to get it delivered straight to your inbox.
The Social Media Black Box
On Tuesday, the Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight held a hearing titled, “The Disinformation Black Box: Researching Social Media Data.” Committee Members discussed how researchers are able to access and analyze data from social media companies. During the wide ranging hearing, researcher also testified about their work looking into the spread of misinformation and disinformation on social media platforms and how platforms drive traffic to advertisements and promoted posts.
“The problem of misinformation is not a new one, but social media has fanned the flames, and it is now difficult to imagine political and social discourse untouched by its influence.”
- Chairman Bill Foster (D-IL) of the Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight
On Wednesday, the Full Committee held the Committee’s Member Day Hearing for the 117th Congress. The hearing was held pursuant to House Rules, and gave Members, including those not on the committee, the opportunity to come before the Committee and discuss proposed legislation, or simply discuss interests and priorities under the Committee’s jurisdiction.
Do You Need a Boost?
Coming up in Committee
Subject: “Balancing Open Science and Security in the U.S. Research Enterprise”
DATE: Tuesday, October 5, 2021
TIME: 10:00 a.m. EDT
PLACE: Online via videoconferencing
· Dr. Maria Zuber, Co-Chair, National Science, Technology, and Security Roundtable, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Vice President for Research and E. A. Griswold Professor of Geophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
· Ms. Candice N. Wright, Director, Science, Technology Assessment, and Analytics, U.S. Government Accountability Office
· Ms. Allison Lerner, Inspector General, National Science Foundation
· Dr. Xiaoxing Xi, Laura H. Carnell Professor of Physics, Temple University